Wednesday, September 15, 2010

i coulda been a contender

a few months ago jay dropped this list on my coffee table with check marks next to several movie titles. "how many have you seen?" he challenged. to my surprise, we had seen exactly the same number of flicks from the american film institute's 10th anniversary edition of the best 100 movies of all time. boring.

so i took it to work. mark, tony, julie, jenn and i each chose a color and meticulously marked each of our have seens. our progress varied from the teens to 40-somethings. then it got serious. jenn came in on a monday morning bragging about movies she could check off the list. roommate leslie started to notice a trend in our netflix queue. tony was staying up late for classic reruns on showtime. it even made the agenda for our weekly department meeting once.

now icecream and pride are on the line. the race is on. i cordially invite you to join in the "who can watch the top 100 movies of all time first?" competition.

don't let yourself fall behind, left only to ramble on about how you coulda been a contender.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Alright, I lose. I have only seen 17. I'm actually surprised I've even seen that many!

Tiffany said...

So you are inviting us into a competition in which you have a 2 month jump? Sounds like something I would do. I've seen 49 that I can confirm, there are quite a few (like M*A*S*H) that I'm pretty sure I saw as a kid but can't be positive. How many have you watched so far?
I'm never going to watch Silence of the Lambs so this is impossible for me to win.

johnny said...

elizabeth, don't lose hope. the best bookies bet on the dark horse.

teej, even with a 2-month lead you're ahead of me by 8! but if i'm going to watch schindler's list, you better bite the bullet with silence of the lambs. on second thought, i'll make an exception for sotl if you watch lawrence of arabia twice. back to back.